Monday, April 4, 2011

14 Days of EVE Online: Prologue


I have always had a deep, abiding love for science-fiction. I grew up watching Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, and a myriad of space operas. I've almost finished my marathon run of Battlestar Galactica. That's why EVE Online has always called to me.

For the longest time, I was always deterred by the thought that EVE was too hard. I believe I tried it once before, a long time ago, and an hour in my mining ship was ganked by pirates and my capsuleer spaced. But still, the game calls to me. I love reading about the exploits of the cutthroat corporations, the dirty (but perfectly legal) scamming of players, and other adventures that set EVE apart.


Just recently, I and a few of my friends picked up an RPG called Traveller. We spent a good part of spring break gathered around the dinner table, d6s clutched in our hands, excitedly role-playing our new lives as space traders. Our ship, the Free Trader Argo, hauled freight across the Jewel Subsector, getting into fights with psionic Zhodani and rough-and-tumble gangsters.

It was the closest I've ever come to living the sci-fi fantasy. Sure, all we really did was roll dice and argue the prices of "imaginary" goods, but it was fun. I adored my 38-year-old ex-Intelligence operative, Adam Lansing, and his tendency to get himself into trouble. Now that we've all gone back to our respective schools, however, I can no longer get my fix for sci-fi.


This is precisely why I have decided to give EVE Online another go. Maybe the mining, the trading, and the getting-ganked-by-assholes will eventually get to me and stop me from playing, but for now, during this 14-day free trial, I am willing to give the game my time. Whether I will decide to give it my money will depend on whether it's enjoyable enough of a game.

So follow along these next 14 days as I post about my adventures in New Eden and conclude in the final post whether I will pay for EVE Online or not. And maybe, just maybe, you'll decide to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment