Sunday, June 5, 2011

E3 Trailer Shows Off 'The Old Republic'


Admittedly, I have been hesitant to jump on the Star Wars: The Old Republic hype train, because, despite BioWare's claims to the contrary, the game doesn't look like it's doing much to differentiate itself from industry giant, World of Warcraft.

You still have two opposing factions, the "holy" trinity of MMOs (tank, DPS, healer), raids, and everything else that has made me weary of the MMO genre. Sure, there are the claims that "story" will change everything -- that BioWare's mastery of cinematic storytelling will give The Old Republic the edge to come out on top.

I wasn't convinced.

  

This trailer, which premiered at E3,  does little to change my mind. In my honest opinion, it still looks like a carbon copy of WoW with Star Wars effects painted over it. It might be prettier, louder, and bigger than WoW, but it's still WoW.

However, I've now decided that I'm going to at least give The Old Republic a chance. I like BioWare, I loved the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic franchise, and it wouldn't be fair just to write the game off as soon as it's released. If The Old Republic offers some sort of 14-day free trial, then I'm willing to give it a whirl. If it's anything like KOTOR, then it might even be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment