Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Re-Prioritizing My Life

It's another late night at college during finals week. I won't kid you; I'm not actually studying. I think I've just developed acute insomnia. It's been one of those nights where you end up thinking about the deep stuff - you know: life, the future, where you'll end up. And I thought, "Wow, I should really write down my top goals in life that way I don't forget them."

Okay, maybe not so cookie-cutter as that, but my train of thought was following that line. What do I want to be remembered for? What do I want to spend my life doing? Who do I want to be?


Don't worry. This isn't going to be one of those posts where I give you advice on what to do with your life. Pssshh... You think I care? No, that's a joke. I'm just kidding. But seriously. Yeah, I'm writing this strictly for my own benefit. Somehow, putting this organized, prioritized list on the World Wide Web will get the attention of the the "fate fairies" who'll magically bestow all of my wishes. Don't look at me like that. It is my blog after all. I can say crazy things if I want.

Anyways, here I go:

1. Finish college and get a job in the field of journalism


Being Superman is just an optional bonus that comes with the job. 

2. Write a novel and have it published


Getting a novel published is tough. Getting a novel published and recognized? Even tougher. But give me a pencil/pen and some paper and I can't help but write. It's my passion, my talent. I'll be damned if I never get anything published before I die.

3. Find The Girl


As I've written before, I'm an unabashed romantic. She's out there. I'll find her someday. Don't worry, concerned reader, I'll still enjoy the ride that is life before I meet her and I won't (read: I'll try) not to be so obsessed with the Quest that I lose sight of what's around me.

(Also, meeting Zooey Deschanel, pictured above, with the ever so charming, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, would be pretty awesome.)

4. Improve the world around me somehow


Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem

That's Latin for "What man is a man who does not make the world better?" At least, according to Kingdom of Heaven. I want to do something that adds to the world. It doesn't have to be finding a new alternative energy source or curing cancer or anything like that. It could be something little, like planting a tree or something. I want to be able to do something that makes the world a better place.

It's a simple list in retrospect. The last goal especially is pretty darn'd vague. But I like it. And if I can die having fulfilled all those goals, I'll die a happy man.

Now go. Make your own list of priorities for your life, that way - Hang on a minute. I said I wouldn't make this one of those cheesy soapboxes, right? Well, then in that case. Go. Back to the depths of the Interwebz with you. Watch a YouTube video about a talking Husky or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment